top of page
Info on lectures, conferences, and other happenings at ISHB.
- Tue, Dec 06Via Zoom
- Fri, Nov 18Via ZoomNov 18, 2022, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PMVia ZoomThis is the second of a series of lectures taught (in Mandarin Chinese) by Dr. Shou-Jen Kuo, Assistant Professor of Religious Studies. No need to register for this lecture. Zoom link provided on flyer. All are welcome. Zoom information: Meeting ID: 959 5121 1631 Passcode: 178935
- Fri, Sep 30Via Zoom
- Justin R. Ritzinger, PhD. Food, Family, and Philanthropy: Humanistic Buddhism in a Working-Class Taiwanese CommunityWed, Sep 28Via Zoom
- Dr. Melody Tzu-Lung Chiu - An Overview of Death Rituals in Chinese Buddhist Monasteries of Present-Day MyanmarTue, May 10ZoomMay 10, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PMZoomDeath rituals and Buddhism are mutually interdependent, and this is especially the case in Chinese contexts. In fact, numerous studies have explored Buddhist funeral or Chinese death rituals; however, present-day Chinese Burmese’s Buddhist death rituals have come under much less scrutiny.
- Dr. Elsa Ngar-sze Lau - Pilgrimage, Traveling Gurus and Transnational Networks: Lay Meditation Movement in ChinaTue, Apr 26Zoom
- Thu, Apr 07ZoomApr 07, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM PDTZoomDr. Cheng introduces the recent development of Vietnamese migration and Buddhist transmission to Taiwan. Utilizing recent fieldwork data, she considers the example of the Yu Lan festival to discuss different renderings and functions of the ritual within the Vietnamese Buddhist community in Taiwan.
- Drs. Amy Paris Langenberg & Ann Gleig: Grassroots Responses to Sexual Violation in American Buddhist CommunitiesMon, Mar 07UWest Campus (AD 208) and on Zoom
- Mon, Feb 28Zoom
- Feb 08, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM PSTZoomA conversation with Dr. Hsu about her upbringing as an Asian American Buddhist in So. California, her famous 2016 Lion’s Roar Article on the erasure of Asian American Buddhism, and her most recent engagement as a co-organizer of May We Gather, a nat'l Buddhist memorial for Asian American ancestors.
- LECTURE - Dr. Ester Bianchi: The Theravāda Model and Early Buddhist Meditation in the Republic of ChinaThu, Jan 27Zoom
- Tue, Oct 19Zoom
- Thu, Sep 09ZoomSep 09, 2021, 6:00 PM PDTZoomThe University of the West welcomes Dr. Jens Reinke as the new Director of the ISHB. At this inaugural lecture, Dr. Reinke will present on his recent book, Mapping Modern Mahayana: Chinese Buddhism and Migration in the Age of Global Modernity. See Recording Link in the description below.
- Thu, Sep 02ZoomSep 02, 2021, 2:00 PM PDTZoomIn this lecture, Dr. Jiang Wu will examine the culture of Dao-learners in the mid- and late Tang society by focusing on Pei Xiu 裴休 (791-864), a literati follower of Buddhist teachers, the two most eminent among whom were Chan figures Zongmi 宗密 (780-841) and Huangbo Xiyun 黃檗希運 (?-850).
bottom of page